Xenon® polyurethane parts are able to be matched to your vehicles factory paint
if you follow a few simple steps and procedures.
Parts Preparation & Painting
[The following is based upon approved Sherwin Williams
processes using Sherwin Williams materials. Consult your local paint supplier
for equivalent materials and/or processes.]
- WASH paintable surfaces and tape ledge (if applicable) with heavy duty detergent
degreaser, i.e. Castrol purple stuff or red hot and USP90 scuff
gel, using a gray scuff pad until the part is dull and then rinse thoroughly.
- SAND the paintable surfaces with 400 grit or finer and check for imperfections
- repair with Evercoat Metal Glaze (#100416), a two-part
- RE-WASH with heavy-duty detergent degreaser and USP90 scuff gel using gray
scuff pad to remove residue. Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry with a lint free towel.
At this point the part will have a very dull meduim grey appearance.
- APPLY masking tape over any adheasive tape ledges on the inside of the part(s)
— Consult Xenon instructions if needed to determine which parts utilize adhesive
tape as part of the installation procedure.
- WIPE item down using Sherwin Williams SC159 plastic
and anti-static cleaner using a lint free towel.
- SPRAY item with Sherwin Williams UPO7227 plastic adhesion promoter.
- SPRAY item with Sherwin Williams P30 sealer base coat and then clear coat.
Note: Some painters prefer, after cleaning the surfaces, to apply Dupont "Variprime"
(or equivalent), let dry and scuff with Scotchbrite pad and then apply the paint
Installation of the 3M Tape
- REMOVE any paint overspray with sandpaper or #7447 Scotchbrite pad
- WIPE same area with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or
- ROUGH UP the tape ledge using the 3M burgundy Scotchbrite pad that has been
dipped in MEK or Acetone and then wipe clean with a rag and MEK or Acetone.
- WIPE same area with Pro-Bond or 3M
#4298 Adhesion Promoter.
- APPLY the tape, pulling it slightly, V-cut as necessary going around curved
areas and PRESS the tape on with the handle part of the scissors.
- DO NOT install tape where our fender flare goes into a body side character
area, such as on the CK & S10/Sonoma Chevy, Dodge Ram, CK Chevy, etc.
- ALLOW the part to set with the tape applied, if possible for an hour or more
in a warm area — this will help the cure process.